Experience. Excellence. Results.
Licensed to Practice in Arkansas, California, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Political Science. Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY (2002)
- Master of Arts (M.A.) in Higher Education Administration. University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS (2003)
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) Cum Laude. Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, MS (2008)
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2009)
Areas of Specialty
Practice in the areas of Estate & Business Planning; Probate; Business Transactions; Asset
Protection Planning; Tax Controversy; and State and Local Taxation.
- Brandon is an associate attorney at Barnes Law Firm. He also heads Barnes Law Firm's Southaven office.
- Defended individuals and businesses in state and federal income tax audits, state sales and use tax audits, federal employment tax audits
- Represented taxpayers in administrative appeals of audits and collection actions before the IRS, Mississippi Department of Revenue, and Mississippi Board of Tax Appeals, and in litigation in state and federal courts
- Assisted clients with the formation, acquisition and disposition of closely-held businesses, and with business transactions, including 1031 like-kind exchanges and tax equity partnerships.
- Prepared estate plans for individuals with both simple and complex estates
- Worked with individuals and their advisors, including CPA’s, financial planners, and other attorneys, to implement sophisticated wealth transfer techniques, including installment sales to grantor trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, charitable lead and remainder trusts, and split-dollar life insurance.
- Assisted clients with all aspects of probate and administration of both testate and intestate estates, and represented fiduciaries and beneficiaries in litigation related to estates and trusts
- Served as an expert witness on tax issues related to decedent’s estates.
- Mississippi Bar Association;
- Admitted to practice before the United States Tax Court, United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and all Mississippi state courts
- Executive Committee, Estates and Trust Section of Mississippi Bar, 2012-2013
- American Bar Association, Tax and Real Property, Trusts, and Estates Sections, 2008-Present.
Community and Civic Involvement
- Hernando Rotary Club
- Alumni Advisor, Sigma Chi Fraternity
- Board of Directors, Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College Foundation, 2013-2015
- Board of Directors, Lee Eric Drake Foundation, Inc., 2005-2010
- Mississippi Bar Estates and Trusts Award, 2008
- American Jurisprudence Awards: Estate & Gift Taxation, Real Estate Transactions, Commercial Paper, Mental Health Care Law and Policy, Criminal Procedure, Pretrial Practice, and Supreme Court Role Playing
- Deans List: Fall & Spring 2007, Fall & Spring 2008
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.